Monday, September 08, 2014

Letters To My Future Husband: Letter #171.

Dear Mr. Melissa Blake:
Well, OK, Sweet Pea, we both know that you don't have to say it. I know it's been awhile since I last wrote, but that doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about you -- that sounds a bit creepy, doesn't it?

Speaking of creepy, I discovered a portrait of myself from 2009 while I was doing some cleaning over the weekend. The source? Some of my old writing, and it's sort of scary just how accurate it is. It captures everything so perfectly, and it looks like I called the Great Feminist Debate long before it was even officially a thing. My unfiltered thoughts as a 28-year-old woman on the verge...
This whole new side of me? I'm not sure it's a side I like. It's bold. It's an "I-don't-care-about-the-consequences" side. When did I become that girl? I'm cautious. I'm a good girl. I most definitely always follow the rules. And yet, here I am. What sort of woman calls herself an independent feminist and mentally analyzes everything? There's this huge disconnect going on here. Maybe I just like the idea of being with someone who makes me feel happy again, who makes me laugh and who lets me just let go for once and not think everything to death. Is that such a bad thing?
And right now as I'm typing this, Carly Rae Jepsen's "Wrong Feels So Right" comes on. Fate, Sweet Pea, or are you trying to send me a message from the future? Nonetheless, even though five years have passed, I'm still fascinated by the whole idea of caution vs. risk-taking when it comes to love. When should we go with our gut, even when our head is screaming at us not to? Can anything good ever come from those types of situations? Can we learn from those situations if we never even take the chance in the first place?
It's a lot to think about, and I'm pretty sure I'll be talking your ear off on this very subject years from now. Who knows, maybe you turn out to be that chance I wasn't sure if I should take. Are you? Or maybe I'm the chance you weren't sure about at first? It's all a very romantic notion, isn't it? Until we meet... xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It]


  1. Another great letter, Melissa! I can speak from experience on the whole idea of caution vs. risk when it comes to love. I met my fella 6 years ago at work and over the 4 years that I worked there, my feelings for him grew from intrigue - crush - love, and by the time I left that job, the thought of leaving his life and not seeing him every day hurt like hell.

    When I left I had two choices - either let him go and let him disappear from my life or take a chance. Take the biggest risk of my life and pursue him (he had no idea how I felt or how he felt at the time, so this was a MAJOR risk!)

    But, you know what? I couldn't not at least give it a go. I knew with every bone in my body that if I didn't take the risk, I would regret it for the rest of my life. And I would rather have the pain of rejection than a lifetime of regret.

    So, I took a leap of faith, and I am so pleased to say we have been together for a year and a half. We are in love and moving in together and creating this wonderful life. A life that could not have happened without taking a chance!

    You'll know when it's right Melissa. And when it is, nothing will be able to stop you!

  2. I love these letters. Re: when to take a risk and when to be cautious...well when the time comes, you will pick a road. You will pick a road because it just becomes more and more clear that you should take it. The road itself may be full of twists and turns, but there will be great stops along the way!

    little luxury list formerly Chic 'n Cheap Living

  3. I'm so happy for you, Unpublished! What a romantic story! Good for you for taking that leap.

  4. thanks for the awesome advice, little luxury! xoxo


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin