Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Love Lounge: Let's talk values and marriage

For someone who has lived her life perpetually single, I'm pretty obsessed with all things marriage. All the forces that bring people together. What attracts couples to each other. What keeps them together for the long haul, and even how they find their way back to each other if they feel those old sparks going out.

A new study examined the link between similarity and marital satisfaction in 248 married couples. The results? Couples whose values aligned were happier in their marriages. Not similar personalities. Not similar physical traits. Similar values. The researches looked at such things as religious views, family roles, values and gender roles.

Now, I'll be the first to say that I always thought that similar personalities played a bigger role, but the more I think about it, values, especially in the long run, would tip the scale. My parents shared so many of the same values -- sometimes, I swear, they shared one brain. My grandparents were the same way. I suppose it's just that you naturally gravitate toward someone whose values you respect, and chances are, you share those same values.
What do you think, friends? Do you and your significant other share similar values? Not so much? Do you think people can make it work if they're drastically different? What about other couples you know? xoxo

P.S. What's your attraction equation? Would you rather date someone who is shy or more outgoing? And, what do you need to know before you get married?

[Via Glamour]

1 comment:

  1. This makes so much sense! Mr. B and I have zero in common except our values. This makes me feel better that we're basically opposites.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin