Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Wise Words From Readers: On favorite Halloween costumes...

Speaking of Halloween, it was such a magical time when you were a kid, wasn't it? It was the day of the year where you could be anything you wanted to be. A cowboy. A queen. A ghost. A Disney character. Needless to say, the possibilities were endless -- as wide as our imagination, actually. Half the time, choosing a costume was more fun than going trick-or-treating. Even years later, there are those costumes that hold a special place in our hearts, and it didn't take you very long to remember them, friends...

*We went trick-or-treating with our besties, and it was always AMAZING!! Some of our best times growing up. The best costume was homemade! My middle brother and I were tots and our mom made us home-sewn (with wigs) Raggedy Ann and Andy.

*I like the challenge of being creative with costumes. Each year, creative folks try to out-do themselves from the year before. Nothing like some creative competition with oneself. My favorite costume from when I was a kid was either when I was Cinderella, my own pumpkin coach included, or when my mother made me into a pizza! No one else I know was ever a pizza for Halloween, and that makes me proud of the creative person my mother is, and my willingness to be different during my early adolescents.

*I love Halloween because it's a time where most people can be who they truly feel inside with no judgments. My dad worked for Union Carbide; they made Glad bags. Not much money, but we had a whole lot of fun. We would wear them as costumes!

*Pooling all our candy in mom's big silver bowl. She kept in on top of the fridge and doled it out. Tootsie Pops were my favorite.
Growing up, I remember sporting a variety of costumes over the years. I'm pretty sure that my mom dressed me as a pumpkin for the first few years of my life. I've also been a devil and a clown, but my absolute favorite was when my older cousin Mona and I dressed up as matching dice. She was always like that older sister I looked up to, so I felt quite cool walking next to her! Oh, the lovely memories! Anyway, here's next week's question...

If you could eat dinner with any famous person, who would you choose and why?

Visit So About What I Said on Facebook and Twitter to share your smarts -- and don't forget to use hashtag #WiseWordsFromReaders. See you there, friends! :)

[Photos via We Heart It]


  1. Nowadays - i go as a pop culture character for halloween! Can't wait til Friday! LOL

  2. Nowadays - i go as a pop culture character for halloween! Can't wait til Friday! LOL

  3. I wish I had dressed up more as a kid! I did make my own gypsy costume one year complete with paper hoop earrings (I didn't have pierced ears or clip ons!)

    little luxury list formerly Chic 'n Cheap Living


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin