Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Wise Words From Readers: On love at first sight...

Love is a pretty complicated thing. How we find it, how we keep it, how we lose it... those are all the mysteries of the universe to us. And perhaps, the concept of love at first sight is the most complicated riddle of them all. Can we believe in it if we've never experienced it before? Does it even exist in the first place? If you're like me, you've probably thought about this a lot -- OK, maybe I've thought about it too much sometimes -- and wonder if you'll ever be able to define such an abstract idea. I must have some pretty smart friends, though, because it didn't seem to take you long to arrive at your conclusion this week...

*I don't believe in love at first sight since sight is only one sense and love for me is an emotional, rather than sensory, experience!

*I DO believe in love at first sight. I can tell I like a guy from about 50 feet away. And honestly, if I don't get that feeling immediately, it's probably not going to work out! You always have to go with your gut, you know?

*I used to believe in love at first sight but don't anymore. I believe you can see someone for the first time and be attracted. But love? Love takes time. Love takes knowledge of who the other person is. You can't just fall in love with someone based on their looks. You have to KNOW them.

*Yes, fell in love with my wife that way. Almost seven years later and it gets better every day.

*Nope. I'd call that lust. Love is based on trust and personality traits that can't possibly be "seen" at first sight. I love my husband because of his laugh, goofy sense of humor, the way he smiles when he's lying, etc. That's stuff I learned after dating. Of course I am attracted to him physically, but that's not love.

*I sure do! The reason I believe in love at first sight is because the sweetness and kindness of a smile is sometimes all you need. KEEP IN MIND -- "love at first sight" can mean a newborn in the family!!! As with all things in life -- if you mean only romantic love -- I still believe, but use discernment and wisdom to proceed.

*Oh yeah, I have done it several times. LOL.
You all know I've struggled with this question over the years. Maybe "struggled" is a bit dramatic, but I've definitely went back and forth on the issue. I thought I was in love with Crush Boy when I was 13, and, well, we all know just how that turned out, don't we? So perhaps I'm a bit more jaded now, but I like to think my hopeless romantic heart is still beating in there somewhere. Anyway, here's next week's question...

What is your all-time favorite movie and why?

Visit So About What I Said on Facebook and Twitter to share your smarts -- and don't forget to use hashtag #WiseWordsFromReaders. See you there, friends! :)

[Photos via We Heart It]


  1. I see my comment up there! I still stick to my words that I do NOT believe in love at first sight. I am also intrigued by love after meeting a few couples in arranged marriages. They actually seem very happy and all learned to love each other over time. It certainly changed my perspective!

    little luxury list formerly Chic 'n Cheap Living

  2. I don't believe in love at first sight.. rather lust at first sight. You need to know someone, know their flaws etc before you can truly love them.

    That's my thoughts anyway..

    AHHH favorite movie................ sooooo many!! Pride & Prejudice will never get old xxx



Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin