Monday, November 24, 2014

Behind The Blog: Run Away Mägi May

I'm so happy to be bringing the Behind The Blog series back today, friends! As you know, I love taking a peek behind the curtain of blogs just as much as I love reading them! And Run Away Magi May is the perfect blog to help kick off round two of our series. When Magi wrote to me and described herself as "a wandering-traveler human who likes to plug into small-towns," I knew I wanted to know more. I mean, her life sounds so cool, so adventurous and so...awesome! And it is! She's currently teaching in Alaska and enjoying lots of time with her little nieces. I hope you enjoy reading her story. And as always, I'd love to feature you and your blog, so feel free to email me (mellow1422 [at] aol)...

Quick facts
Name: Mägi
Birthday: September 19th, 1990 (International Talk Like a Pirate Day)
Where are you from...Kirkland, Washington (home to Costco)
3 words to describe me...resplendent, inimitable, and zealous
Occupation: Wanderer. But, to fuel the wanders, I've been a direct service provider to children, the elderly, and to folks living with developmental disabilities. Currently I teach in different homes in rural Alaska. My specialties are German/Swiss-German, cello. math and English.
Blog: Run Away Magi May
When did you start your blog...I started Run Away Magi May in 2010, but I started blogging actively in 2004 when I was 13.
What inspired you to start a blog?
I wrote regularly when I did my first year abroad in Switzerland. It was then that my blogging became a staple in my life as a form of documenting it. I mainly wrote because everyone asked the same questions and I wanted to be able to give them a more solid answer without exhausting myself by writing the same thing to each human.

Then, I started a blog related to my different "disorders" (I live with ADHD/SPD/BED/trichotillomania/DCD...). I was in college and trying to sort things out, and wanted to write about how they were affecting me. I got a lot of positive response from moms and dads of kids living with the same disabilities, and they were interested in my story. I was like their kids, but a few years ahead. It was an honor to be a voice for our community and to give the parents encouragement and hope.

Now I travel frequently, always on the move, it seems, for the past five years, and blogging has become a way for me to keep track of my journey and share it with friends I don't get to see often.

What do you love the most about blogging? Does anything about it stress you out?
I love that blogging has a lot of growth and experiences documented in an organized format that my friends and family have access to. They tell me they like keeping tabs on my adventures when I'm on the road. Nothing about it stresses me out. I only blog when I want to about what I want to write about.
If you had to describe your blog in one sentence, what would you say?
It's the documentation of the life of a normal twenty-something...who just so happens to live in her truck and has been dealt a few developmental disability cards and a hardcore shot of wanderlust.

What has blogging taught you?
Lessons sometimes have to be learned more than once for them to sink it. It's sometimes funny (or painful) to look back and go, "Ahhh! I've been through this! Why didn't I learn?"
What advice do you have for new bloggers?
Know why you're blogging. Your heart has to be behind it to keep going. If your goal is viewers, well, I guess you can run with that, but you'll probably lose momentum quickly. In a decade, what will you be grateful for that you spent time to write out today?

Where do you see yourself and your blog in 5 years?
In five years? I rarely know where I'll be month to month. I can't ever seem to stay in one place. Your guess is as good as mine. My blog will probably look just as it's looked the past few years -- daily documentations of the changes in life and the beauty of temporary routines.
What has surprised you the most about blogging?
Besides how many people try to start a blog and stop after four posts? What a beautiful tool it can be in life. I find it to be a great coping mechanism when my thoughts start to get scattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin