Monday, November 17, 2014

So About What I Said's sixth birthday

I must confess: I forgot a very important blog-related milestone last week. I'm not exactly sure how I even missed it seeing as how I have a pretty photographic memory when it comes to birthdays and anniversaries. Seriously, ask me what I was doing in, say, April 1993, and I probably could tell you -- well, maybe not with 100% accuracy, but my batting average is still pretty good (is that the correct sports metaphor?).

But I digress. Anyway, as I was just about to settle into the weekend on Friday evening, it hit me. Like a pretty big ton of bricks, actually. Or a sucker punch to the heartstrings. Yes, more like a sucker punch to my very heartstrings. It was...

...wait for it...

...So About What I Said's sixth birthday!

SIX. YEARS. Let's just let that fact sink in for a moment, shall we?

I'm sure I've said this once or twice before, but I can't believe how quickly the time has gone by! I was a plucky lass in her twenties when I hit publish on that first entry in 2008. Initially, I honestly didn't think my blog would go anywhere or even be read by anyone outside of my immediate family. And I certainly didn't think it would be around some six years later. Where does the time go? Picture me saying that in my best curmudgeon-y grandfather voice! Three more things I never expected that have brought me such joy over the last six years...

1. Getting to explore my interests (and discover new ones!): I know it's hard to believe, but I was never really interested in fashion or beauty of any sort before I started blogging. Some may say I was even just a plane Jane. I'm not saying I'm Lady Gaga and wearing meat dresses now, but I'm learning how fun it is to experiment and discover your favorite trends and styles. Plus, I mean, polo shirts -- who doesn't love a good polo shirt?

2. Making so many amazing blogging friends: The blogging community never fails to amaze me. We're quite the force, aren't we? I feel honored that so many bloggers invite me into their lives with each new post and you're able to form such a unique connection. I feel like I've been on such a journey with some bloggers that I've read since the very beginning, and I can't help but smile when a new post shows up in my feed!

3. Writing through my issues: It's not secret that I've been pretty honest and vulnerable over the years. Some may think I've been a bit too open and honest, but from day one, my goal has been to ALWAYS be myself and to tell my story. So, really, I've never even considered being anything but honest, which is something I think people have connected with and related to their own lives. Writing about my disability, my depression and my father's suicide has helped me work through so many emotions. I can continuously feel my shoulders getting lighter and lighter, and I have this blog to thank for that.

And, speaking of posts, here are six of my all-time favorites...
*Three lessons from my sister
*Letters To My Future Husband: Letter #1
*Five questions I'd ask my father
*An Open Letter To You
*What I've learned about suicide
*MEMO TO MEN: My dating options?
I suppose all this blubbering boils down to this: Thank you, friends, for always sharing your stories and for always being who you are. It's a beautiful thing. Let's never stop doing that, OK? After all, we're all in this blogging journey together! I don't know about you, but I'm excited to see what's next! xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Congrats!! you have such a talent for writing and sharing! I enjoy your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAH! congrats on your anniversary! xo jillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the kind words, friends!! It means so much!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin