Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Wise Words From Readers: On favorite books...

Books are magical, aren't they? Maybe magical is even an understatement. I mean, think about it. From the time we learn to read, usually a Dr. Seuss tale about cats or green eggs, we let books take us on fantastical journeys to faraway places. Outer space. The wild west. The future. It seems we all have our favorite book, and are quite passionate about said favorite...

*The Harry Potter series. When I was a kid, my mother took me to the bookstore, determined to turn me into a reader. We came home with The Sorcerer’s Stone. She read the first two chapters to me and then I tackled the rest. It took me MONTHS to finish it, but I was completely enthralled by it. I remember reading chapter twelve, where Harry Potter sees his parents in the Mirror of Erised, and how it left my insides rustling. I bolted down the stairs to my mother, the smartest woman in the world, the woman who understood all things, could explain all things, and asking her what was wrong with me.

“I read this chapter,” I said, “and now my heart feels funny.”

My mother peered up at me from the couch. A smile softened her face. “Oh, it’s okay, sweetie. Books do that to you sometimes.”

So, I kept reading.

I didn't realize it then, but that was the first time I actually felt something for a character in a book. It was the first time writing left a physical impact. Later, when I read The Chamber of Secrets, I realized this entire world of magic, places and characters was made out of words, and I wanted to do the same thing. So, I did. I wrote a 300 page book by hand when I was eleven years old, and then I realized I was wired for this. I've been doing it ever since.

*The Little Prince -- Super explanations on the beautiful simplicity of life, joy, friendship and death. Loved it as a child; love it more as an adult.

*I like all murder mysteries!

*A Rose In Winter. Very well written.
I have two favorite books, though one is a play. I remember reading The Catcher In The Rye in junior high and falling in love with Holden, the James Dean-esque rebel who becomes disillusioned with phonies as he tries to find himself. I don't think anyone at that age could read the book and not identify with Holden -- even if it's only a little bit. Another one of my favorites is Tennessee Williams's The Glass Menagerie. The story mirrored my family, almost eerily so, and I remember reading the play in one sitting and being just a wee bit spooked when I finished. It's weird when books have that sort of power, isn't it? Anyway, here's next week's question...

What's your favorite holiday family tradition? Why does it stand out in your mind?

Visit So About What I Said on Facebook and Twitter to share your smarts -- and don't forget to use hashtag #WiseWordsFromReaders. See you there, friends! :)

[Photos via We Heart It]

2 comments:

  1. i love baking cookies with my mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Jillian!! So many recipes I want to try..maybe I'll try to convince my mom to do another Ms. Bear's Kitchen for the holidays! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin