Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Wise Words From Readers: On time-traveling adventures...

I've always been fascinated with time. How different time periods are defined and remembered. How history is recorded and looked back on. How people actually lived through the Age of Disco -- and are fully comfortable admitting they lived through it. Maybe that's why I've come to be such a fan pop culture and love fantasizing about stealing Doc Brown's DeLorean and heading back in time. And it turns out that you'd like to take a time-travel trip too, friends...

*The '70s because I don't remember much of the first go 'round!

*The '50s. Not sure why. Simplicity?

*The '70s -- they seemed like fun.

*I'd probably like to be born in the late '30s. For mostly the very shallow reason that I love the clothing in the '40s and '50s and would love to be young then, but also so I could see Woodstock and a lot of other shows.

*I'm glad I live now, to be honest. I could say a prior decade -- but then, I'd not have all the advantages and technology and wisdom and experience I've gleaned from 7 decades of life. I'd miss my computer and smartphone and being able to access information so quickly -- but most of all, the ability to communicate with people over long distances quickly and easily. I'd not be able to live as an independent woman without having to rely on someone to support me, as was the case in earlier decades. My mom's generation, for example.
Hmmm, this is a tough one for me. I've always thought I was born in the wrong decade, like I was meant to be a '50s girl or something. I love the innocence and promise of that decade, and of course, who can resist all the AMAZING fashion. Poodle skirts, anyone? But, here's a mind-bending, Matrix question: Would my motorized wheelchair work in the '50s? Surely they had these sorts of wheelchairs back then, right? Anyway, here's next week's question...

How do you beat the winter blues? What tips and tricks do you have?

Visit So About What I Said on Facebook and Twitter to share your smarts -- and don't forget to use hashtag #WiseWordsFromReaders. See you there, friends! :)

[Photos via We Heart It]


  1. Beating the winter blue, to me, means embracing it. I dislike cold weather but I try to find things i love to do when it's cold - movie marathons, reading a good book by the fire, drinking hot chocolate. Then it's not so bad.

  2. Krysten, that is a great way of looking at it. There are so many fun indoor activities...we're big fans of binge-watching TV shows!


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin