Thursday, January 29, 2015

Let's talk napping!

Are you a napper? I never have been and am always jealous of those who can magically go to dreamland whenever and wherever their head hits the pillow. In fact, now that I think about it, the only time I ever sleep during the day is if I'm sidelined by the flu or some other annoying illness. My cousin Mona, on the other hand, is a Master Napper (and yes, I just coined that awesome phrase...). She can catch some Zzzzzz in the middle of the afternoon and wake up totally refreshed. I'm beginning to think that there's some sort of art to napping -- or at the very least, I never inherited the napping gene.

But! We've heard for years that napping is good for us. "The United States appears to be becoming more and more sleep deprived," according to the National Sleep Foundation. "And it may be our busy lifestyle that keeps us from napping. While naps do not necessarily make up for inadequate or poor quality nighttime sleep, a short nap of 20-30 minutes can help to improve mood, alertness and performance."

Still not convinced? Maybe these six nap facts will help...

*There are three basic nap styles: Planned napping, emergency napping and habitual napping.

*Naps are most beneficial when they're taken with intention. You choose the nap. The nap does not choose you.

*Short naps can be just as effective and rejuvenating as longer ones.

*Research has shown that the Ultra-Short Sleep Episode (just SIX minutes long!) aids our ability to recall facts and knowledge.

*Some companies, realizing the benefits of napping, have even begun to set up "sleep spaces" to allow workers to take a nap on the job. For example, MetroNaps has installed sleeping pods for companies like Google and Huffington Post.

*And, sorry, coffee lovers: Research has shown that naps are better than caffeine when it comes to improving verbal memory, motor skills and perceptual learning!
Well, are you sleepy yet, friends? Are you a napper? What kind are you? Any napping rituals -- or are those not even a thing? Enlighten this napping newbie, please! HAHA! xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It]

4 comments:

  1. i never nap because when i do i can't fall asleep at night!! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually yes! I am a napper when possible, and today was one of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time sleeping at night let alone day. I try sometimes I am able to fall asleep and sometimes I don't. It is nice just to rest though

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a total napper, especially since I'm pregnant. (Growing a baby is draining, I tell yah!) I can only nap for short periods of time early in the afternoon, (say, for 1 hour around 1:30pm) because if it's any longer or later I'll have the hardest time sleeping.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin