Monday, February 09, 2015

Love Lounge: Let's talk first kisses!

To kick off Valentine's Day Week, I thought we'd start at the most logical place.

The first kiss.

The beginning. The start of something magical. The awkward moment you'll laugh about years from now.

It's something so intimate yet something people readily talk about. Some people talk of the world stopping, of time standing still. Other people can take clammy hands and racing hearts and make it all sound beautifully poetic. It's almost as if they're under some sort of love spell. But the amazing part? They wouldn't have it any other way.

We've talked about first kisses before, and although I have yet to experience my first fireworks-in-my-heart moment, I'm still completely fascinated by the entire phenomenon.

And, you know me, I have all sorts of scenarios floating around in my head about just how that first time could play out. I have no idea who the guy would be, but something tells me I'm going to be completely taken aback when the moment actually arrives. Surprised might even be an understatement. Maybe we'll be standing in the rain. Maybe we'll be walking in the park. Maybe we'll be in a crowded room.

I know this probably sounds weird even for me, but you know how people have wedding songs? Well, I want to have a first-kiss song. My top two choices? Norah Jones's Come Away With Me or Tommy James and the Shondells's Crimson and Clover. For some reason, I've always imagined those two, beautifully slow songs playing in the background. The mood is right. The mood is magical. And the kiss...it just...happens...naturally. Has anyone else done this before? Of course, perhaps all this kiss talk is bubbling to the surface today because I'm listening to Richard Marx right now. I mean, he's practically the definition of capturing romantic moments in a bottle.
When did you have your first kiss, friends? What was it like? Were you nervous? Excited? Caught by surprise? And...were things awkward afterwards? As for me, well, I can't wait for that first one that is deep and passionate and means something, you know? xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It]

8 comments:

  1. Awwww! My first kiss was at our local museum...our class had gone there for a field trip and it turned out one of the boys in my class was TERRIFIED of escalators, so the teacher made me hold his hand while we went up it, and he was fine. Afterwards we sneaked off and he kissed me in the Rare Gems and Minerals area. I think we were about seven. It was pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, such a sweet article! First kiss - I was 16 and it was my third date with Mike. The song on the car radio was "There's a Kind of Hush" by Herman's Hermits. As he stopped the car at my house, he leaned over (Tall Guy/Short Girl) and gave me a sweet kiss on the lips. Very sweet, very brief, very kind. The way it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first visit to your blog. Your writing style is beautiful! i loved reading your post. First kiss, oh so long ago. Sweet, short, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first kiss was spin the bottle behind the pool house at the local pool with my 4th grade class. Kind of romantic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first kiss was in a hallway off the elementary school gym when I was in grade 7. It was awkward (a friend "made" us do it) and not romantic at all!

    My first kiss with my husband (then boyfriend) was much more exciting, but it's a long story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Silvia! So glad to meet you and thanks so much for reading! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My actual first kiss was an awkward affair that was planned just so that myself and my friend could both get our first kisses out of the way.
    The "fireworks" first kiss that I've had happened for me last summer, on my first date with an amazing guy who still holds a special place in my heart. We had had a great date, and then he asked my permission to kiss me... It sounds awkward, but it wasn't. It was the sweetest, most respectful thing. We stood on a little bridge in the park and he leaned forward and gave me the softest, sweetest kiss of my life that got just a little harder as I leaned into it. We bit each other's lips, our tongues met for just a moment, and I got a feeling I can only describe as a lightning strike to the spine. Afterwards, as he walked me back to my car, he asked how I was feeling, and I couldn't form a coherent sentence. "Bah... buh-huh-muh-mah wow." He laughed and said it had had a similar effect on him.
    It was everything that a first kiss should be, and I'll never forget it... Or him.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin