Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My disability Q&A: On doing what you love

Last year, my cousin Erin interviewed me for one of her education classes. It was great getting to talk about inclusion and how my disability impacted my education, which are two topics I'm pretty passionate about. Well, she interviewed me again a couple weeks ago. This time, the topic was all about doing what you love despite the obstacles of a disability. Hmmm, I think I know a thing or two about that, so I thought it would be fun to share my answers to get questions. Look for more tomorrow, friends!
Tell us a little about your blog!
I started So About What I Said in November 2008. I was also working part-time as a newspaper adviser and freelance columnist, so it felt like the next natural step in things. Before I started actually blogging, I spent some time planning what I wanted to blog about, the title of the blog, etc. From the beginning, I wanted my blog to also serve as my writing portfolio of sorts, so I wanted everything to be really well thought-out. The title of the blog comes from my tendency to sometimes say the wrong thing at the wrong time, and then wishing you could go back and say, “so about what I said..." I've always envisioned my blog -- even from the beginning -- kind of like a magazine, and I've loved writing about such things as love, my disability, fashion, shopping, design, food and home d├ęcor.

What topics do your readers seem to enjoy most on your blog?
One of the things I love most about blogging is the versatility of it. On the same day, I can post about something amazing I found on Pinterest and then turn around and write about my scariest surgery. I've always tried to have a good mix of light-hearted and more serious posts. Some days have been more successful than others, of course, but I think I've done a pretty good job overall. As for topics, my readers love reading about my life, especially about living life with a physical disability. I love being able to show people that despite all my surgeries and hospitalizations, I've never let any obstacle stand in my way. And on my end, I loooove hearing their stories as well -- they're so inspiring, and I love the sense of community my blog has created over the years.

Do you think your blog has had an impact on the readers?
One of my main goals has always been to tell my story honestly and openly. I wanted to show people that I'm just like them, even though I may have had some different life experiences than they did. So in that way, I hope I've had an impact on them -- in the way they interact with people with disabilities and the way they think about disabilities in general.

What is your main demographic?
My main demographic is women in their 20s and 30s, but there are readers who are younger and older than that. I've gotten emails from teenagers saying how much my blog and my story has helped them, and that is the coolest feeling for me. I love interacting with everyone!

In what ways has your blog impacted you?
I don't even know where to begin in describing how much my blog has impacted me. I went into it thinking it would be a fun way to expand my writing and keep me writing every day. It's done that and so much more! It's helped me come to terms with my disability and helped me discover who I am. It's given me confidence and helped me find my voice. I've learned to write honestly, and that's one of the greatest gifts, I think.

Thank you SO much, friends! You're such a huge part of this blog, and you make me smile EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments! xoxo

7 comments:

  1. I love it. You blog for all the right reasons and I can definitely tell all the thought you put into your posts as well as your overall feel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww it is so great that your blog has given you so much confidence and a wonderful outlet for your voice. Do what you love right and you do it well dear!

    xoxo,
    little luxury list formerly Chic 'n Cheap Living

    p.s. I know I have to email you back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely admire the versatility of your blog and the fact that you always switch up the things you cover!

    -Emily @
    Words I Wheel By

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you like the variety, Emily...I always want to keep things interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Thanks again so much :)
    My professor has been in the field many many many years and has never heard of Freeman-Sheldon before so it was cool to be able to share that with her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so proud of you for reaching for the stars and making your dreams into a reality. Your blog has always been a stepping stone to help change the way others think about disabilities, in general. You are truly an inspiration to all, Melissa. Keep that up! Thanks for sharing that! All the best to you! :)

    Brad Post @ Jan Dils

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin