Tuesday, March 17, 2015

On writing and blogging: Part Two

This week, I'm pulling back the curtain on my blogging and writing life. Of course, I'd love to hear your experiences as well, so feel free to share in the comments as well. You can read Part One from yesterday to get yourself caught up on all the juicy insider info... xoxo

**********

You write a lot about your disability and dating. What are some common misconceptions people have about dating a person with disabilities?
Oh, I could talk about this topic forever! I think the biggest misconception is that people with disabilities aren’t like everyone else when it comes to dating. We have the same hopes and dreams as everyone else. That, and people sometimes think it’s going to be “so much more work” to date us, which is a misconception I’ve never been able to wrap my head around!

Your Letters To My Future Husband is a real crowd pleaser, and one of my favorite things to read on your blog. When did you start writing the letters and what sparked the inspiration for them?
Awww, thanks so much! That was one of the first features I brainstormed when I was in the planning stages of my blog. I wrote the first letter in 2009 and have written more than 150 since then. Part of the inspiration came from one of my favorite shows at the time, How I Met Your Mother, which follows a man telling his children the story of how he met their mother. I was fascinated by the idea of capturing my story as it happens -- a sort of “real-time” letter -- and having a stack of them to give to my husband one day.

Would you mind giving us a rough estimate of what your writing schedule and process looks like?
My schedule can vary, which can be both a blessing and a curse, but I try my best to keep to a schedule. I try to map out an editorial calendar for the week and decide what posts I’m going to post on what day. Plus, when the weather is nice, I try to get out of the house at least once a week and work from the library, just so I can get a change of scenery. One of the things I also love about the blogging is that you can schedule a post ahead of time, so I can write one up and schedule it to post any time I want. And, I also have to make sure to schedule time in for working on the business side of things -- working with advertisers, answering emails, social media, etc.
What is the best day and time to send out pitches?
I've found that it’s not so much the time of day that is most important, but the quality of the pitch you’re sending. I say to send a pitch whenever you’re satisfied with it and don’t stress so much over the time. Although, as a rule, I try not to pitch over the holidays, especially when sending by email; editors are typically out of the office for days at a time and I don’t want my pitch to get buried in their inbox.

[Photos via We Heart It]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin