Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Letters To My Future Husband: Letter #172.

Dear Mr. Melissa Blake:
Where do I begin? It's certainly been awhile, hasn't it? But don't worry. How could I ever forget you? That's crazy -- it would be like forgetting my DVR and we both know how much I love my TV time.

But I digress. Life was rather serendipitous for me last night. I was up late perusing through my old journals, as I like to do from time to time, and I came across a particular entry from 2006. I was 25, young, naive and still trying to find my way in the world. It was an interesting time in my life, to say the least. And then I had a dream. As I described it in my journal, I was engaged. I didn't know who my lucky fiancé was, what he looked liked or basically anything about him. I didn't even know if we even ended up getting married.

The only thing I did know?

His name.

His name was Benjamin.

That's it. That's all I knew. It's weird because I'd completely forgotten about this dream until I read my journal last night. What are the odds that I would find it now? You know I still wobble when it comes to the fate vs. logic debate, but wouldn't that be beyond spooky if that dream were actually true? Are you named Benjamin? Do you have a twin named Benjamin? Do you know anyone named Benjamin? As it stands right now, I don't know anyone by that name, so we'll have to see how things play out.

It's all sort of funny because I've never even thought of you as having a name. LOL. OK, I know you have a name, so maybe that's not exactly what I mean. I suppose I mean that your name had always been something that was secondary to everything else, but maybe that's not really fair to you. A name, after all, is a part of you. It helps define you and makes you who you are. It could be your parents' favorite name, a family name or a nickname from childhood that just seemed to stick. We can't discount the importance of that, can we?

Take me, for example: I used to hate my name. Growing up in the '80s, Melissas were a dime a dozen in school, and the name just sounded so plain to me. I wanted something unique, something that would make my teachers look twice at the attendance sheet as they tried to pronounce it on the first day of school. But, no such luck. As I got older, though, I grew into my name. It became a part of me, and now I can't imagine myself as anything other than a Melissa.
Does that make any sense at all? Names are a powerful thing, so this dream is making me all sorts of excited about your name. Maybe someday you'll go from a Mr. Melissa Blake to a Benjamin to...who knows! But I can't wait to find out, can you??? Until we meet... xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It]


  1. May Benjamin come into your life soon! It's funny how we grow into names right? I call my daughter a few names and hopes she love them all ;)

    little luxury list formerly Chic 'n Cheap Living

  2. Spookily I once had a dream that I was dating an architect (randomly) and now I am ... so don't give up on the idea of fate just yet:)


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin