Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Disabilities In The Media: Toys For Kids With Disabilities

Growing up, I was obsessed with Emma, my favorite Cabbage Patch doll. At that time, there weren't many other dolls like me, so during one of my surgeries, my doctor put casts on both of Emma's legs. Sure, it was a relatively small gesture, but it made me happy to think, "HEY! Emma has glasses and casts just like me!"

Well, some 25 years later, it's nice to see a new line of dolls carrying on the tradition. It all started with Toy Like Me, a Facebook campaign advocating for more diversity in the toy industry, especially when it comes to children and disabilities. Parents also shared photos of the makeovers they gave their children's dolls to make them more relatable, and when Makies, a UK doll maker, got wind of the campaign, a new line of exclusive accessories was born! The dolls, which can come with accessories like hearing assistance devices and walking aids, can also be customized according to skin tone, hairstyle and facial features.
And the best news? Makies is now working on a character that uses a wheelchair! What a wonderful doll! It's so important for children with disabilities to feel included and feel like they're represented, and these dolls would really help them cope. They'd have something to comfort them as they go through all those scary medical moments.

Aren't these dolls awesome, friends? I love the prospect of a simple doll breaking down disability stereotypes and myths. This could be the ultimate teaching tool. Way to go, Makies! xoxo

P.S. More disability inspiration: Push Girls, child with disability on Parents magazine cover, superhero window washers, disability PSA, Miss You Can Do It and models in wheelchairs hit the catwalk!

[Via Jezebel]

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful indeed! It's great that nowadays not just blonde white girls can find dolls to relate to, but it's high time for more variety on different levels. Body types and disabilities should definitely make their way into mainstream shops.
    I actually had quite a mix of barbies as a kid. I had a Pocahontas, a Mulan, one of those Arabian ones from Egypt, even a blue one, and probably some more I'm forgetting at the moment. (I would have loved the pregnant one as well, but I never saw one in store and it also creeped me out a tiny bit, haha…) Anyway, I've never understood why people tend to only gravitate to what they are and know. I definitely want all people to also have things that represent them, but on top of that I hope more and more kids will be comfortable with other cultures and situations as well. Having the dolls you mentioned here would probably also be very beneficial to the kids that aren't like them. But I agree, it would definitely make a huge difference for kids having to cope with medical issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! What a great idea...these would be perfect to have in a preschool classroom to teach kids about diversity. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin