Thursday, May 28, 2015

Love Lounge: Saying Hello and Goodbye

I found this quote on Pinterest ages ago and have had it sitting in my drafts folder ever since. Seeing as how I tend to get pretty hung up on words and their meanings, the sentiment in this quote stuck with me.

For a long time, apparently.

It sort of reminds me of when we talked about the emotional power of the phrase 'I love you.' Just like those three words, 'hello' and 'goodbye' are incredibly charged with meaning, even to the point of being overwhelmingly so. I mean, think about it. You meet someone for the first time, and you find yourself needing to get over that first hurdle. One of you is going to have to say it first. Even if you're dying to meet this person (I'm looking at you, Mr. Melissa Blake), there's still that slight moment of nervous tension as you feel a lump forming in your throat and your mouth becoming completely dry. How do you find that little piece in your heart that wants to be the one to say it first? Where is that little piece that will ultimately -- both literally and metaphorically -- push you ever forward?

And on the other end of the spectrum? Well, I've never been a big fan of goodbyes and not just because of the supposed "ugly cry," which, by the way, is just an evil rumor because we all know that crying is never ugly. Goodbyes are heartbreaking in their finality. It's the end, once you realize that something is over or that you'll never see someone again, the weight of that can be quite enormous. Where do you go from there? How do you pick up all the pieces and move on? I've said a lot of goodbyes in my life -- some were welcomed and some were not -- and the hardest one will always be the goodbye I said to my father. Or rather, I should say that I was forced to say that goodbye.
And maybe that's my least favorite part of goodbyes. They can make you feel completely out of control, like someone has just hijacked the reins of your life and refuses to give them. We say goodbye, but sometimes, we don't have a say in when we say them. Does that make sense at all?

In the end, I can't help but separate all these pieces into two piles...

*Hellos are a new beginning; Goodbyes are the door closing shut forever.
*Hellos are leading to something; Goodbyes are a one-way down a dead-end road.
*Hellos give you hope; Goodbyes leave you feeling empty.
*Hellos are about saying goodbye to your past; Goodbyes are about saying hello to your future.

Whoa. #MindBlown.

Do you ever feel this way, friends? Which one do you think is harder to say? When was the last time you said 'hello' and the last time you said 'goodbye'? How did each make you feel? I'd love to hear about your experience! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I like the last one. Because every goodbye always has a hello.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin