Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Tip: 10 Questions For My Mother

The mother-daughter relationship is one of the most important relationships -- perhaps the most important -- we'll ever have in life. It's certainly the first connection we make, that first bond that we look to for protection.

It shapes who we are and who we become. And while it can be complicated, messy, mysterious and fun all at the same time, it's the relationship we keep coming back to.

My mom and I have always had a very unique relationship. Some of that has to do with my disability, sure, but beyond that? We've just always been naturally close. I grew up wanting to be just like her, and now as an adult, she's the first person I come to for advice. Over the years, our relationship and respect for one another has only grown deeper.

As I got to thinking about Mother's Day this year, I was inspired by the folks at Clementine Daily, who posed 10 questions to ask your mom to get her talking. Since I have a sneaky suspicion that my mom inherited her mother's gift for storytelling, I thought I'd come up with my own set of questions!

1. What's your fondest memory from childhood? 
2. How has your mother influenced your life? 
3. Did you always want to be a mom? Why? 
4. If you could change one thing about your past, what would it be? 
5. What is one thing you'd like to say to today's generation? 
6. What's the biggest lesson marriage taught you? 
7. What's the most adventurous thing you've ever done? Was it worth it? 
8. If you could go back to any stage of motherhood, where would you go and why? 
9. What was your #1 fear as a new mother? Your #1 joy? 
10. What is one thing you'd like to ask your daughters?

The plan: I'm going to have my mom answer these question and will share her answers on So About What I Said on Thursday. I encourage you to think of your own questions. You might be surprised to learn a thing or two -- or at the very least, a funny or embarrassing story.

What questions would you ask your mom? What would you like her to ask you? Do you have long, lingering conversations with your mom? What's the biggest lesson she's taught you over the years? xoxo

P.S. More motherhood posts, including my mother's strength, three lessons from my mother, floating above grief and an open letter to my mom,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin