Thursday, July 16, 2015

3 Tips for Tackling Your Goals

Last night, after I posted about the importance of actually writing down your goals, I went to write down some of my own.

It was a list of things I wanted to accomplish today. Nothing too grand or too lofty; in fact, it was mostly tasks that revolved around my typical work-day routine, with a couple on-going goals thrown in for good measure. And, well, the more I looked at the list I'd just created, the less inspired I felt in jumping right in and tackling them. Sure, it could have been because it was past midnight and my eyes were heavier than San Francisco fog, but I could sense something was off. There was a key piece of the puzzle missing. Maybe it had to do with my whole approach; you know, the way I was attacking the tasks, how I was "climbing the mountain" of work, if you will. Perhaps I needed to change my strategy.

So I started thinking back to the times when my Plan of Attack DID work. And soon enough, three tactics stood out...

1. Break It Down: I'd put things on my to-do list such as "Go through emails" or "Comment on blogs," and then wonder why I got so overwhelmed so quickly. Not only was my wording vague, but there was no discernible timetable attached. How much time did I want to devote to each task? How many emails did I want to go through? How many blogs did I want to catch up on that day? It's amazing the calm and clarity and renewed motivation that can come from breaking goals down into specific, manageable, bite-sized nuggets.

2. Take a Break: I have this horrible habit of "getting in the zone." I'll start working and before I know it, time and the world around me has become sort of irrelevant. I'd develop an intense and acute case of tunnel vision, wanting to work and work until I get something done. But, I'm trying to learn -- and remember! -- the inherent value of peeling my eyes away from the computer screen every once and awhile.

3. Allow for Adjustments: I'll be the first to admit that I can be pretty stubborn when I want to be -- some might even say a bit, well, rigid at times. If I get an idea in my head, I get so fixated on doing it that way; it's almost like I have trouble thinking outside the box. But, really, life is one giant series of adjustments, so I'm guessing that things would go a lot smoother if I loosened up just a little. I figure it can't hurt, right?

What do you think, friends? Do you have any tips or tricks to add? Anything that's really worked well for you? Here's to productivity -- and being able to change with the tide! xoxo

[Photo via We Heart It]

1 comment:

  1. I'm in love with that photo. That woman has zest!

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin