Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Blogging Club: My Summer Project (Or, Confessions of a Digital Hoarder)

Two years ago was The Great Clean of 2013, where I made it my mission to de-clutter; I wanted to be one lean, mean, cleaning machine, and by the time the first leaves of fall began to hit the ground, I'd finally found some calm amidst the chaos. It was quite a liberating feeling, actually, which wasn't something I was necessarily expecting.

It really is true what they say: Clutter just weighs you down. It gives you undue stress that you really don't need in your life. And you know what? Clutter doesn't just come in tangible, physical forms, either, as I soon learned.

So! With that in mind, I got to thinking about this year's summer project. What is one thing I really want to accomplish? What is one thing that will make me happy? What will make cleaning, dare I say, FUN?

The answer was clear: A digital cleanse.

I suspect some of you are just like me. Maybe you let your email inbox pile up. Maybe you've got a whole bunch of bookmarked Web sites that you've been meaning to go through "when you had the time." Maybe you've wanted to give your blog a little clean-up or give your social media platforms a bit of a makeover.

Well, for me, that time is NOW! I've got all that and more. I mean, the situation is reaching nuclear proportions. You know things have gotten really bad when you've got miscellaneous email drafts all over the place and countless to-do lists saved as email drafts, some of which you haven't even looked at in months.


Over the next several months, I plan to tackle some of those very projects; after nearly seven years of blogging, I've learned just how important it is to consistently strive to keep your digital space fresh, exciting and inviting. To make the project less overwhelming (because, let's be honest, IT IS a bit overwhelming!!), I've divided the work into monthly tasks, where I'll focus on one social media space at a time. This month, it's all about So About What I Said, so don't be alarmed if you see a bit of construction around these parts. After that, I'll be working on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram!


And, there are some amazingly helpful resources when it comes to digital clean-ups. Here are 10 great ones I found in my quest for inspiration...


*Clean your blog printable checklist
*10 things you should do for your blog
*Blogging timesavers
*How to back up your posts
*Why your blog needs a plan
*7 ways to keep your ideas organized
*How to improve your blog
*Design resources
*Newsletters for creatives
*"25 Things I've Learned From Blogging 5 Days a Week"
Go forth and tackle those summer projects, friends! What tasks are on your list this year? Have you started yet? How are you coming along? There's safety -- and inspiration! -- in numbers, remember, so let's support each other, shall we? xoxo

[Photos via That Kind of Woman]

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder to tidy up digitally! I'm super embarrassed because I am very, very guilty of leaving so many drafts in so many places. I even bought a new theme and haven't installed it! One of my drafts was a post for you but I don't know if you still want it or want to go for a new series (it was the 2015 goal one I think?)

    little luxury list formerly Chic 'n Cheap Living


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin