Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Letters To My Future Husband: Letter #174.

Dear Mr. Melissa Blake:
I came across this quote while I was browsing the Web, and I immediately fell in love with it. I'm a sucker for those quotes that just tug away at your heartstrings and this quote hasn't let go of my heart since. The sentiment is beautiful, but more than that, it made me think.

It wasn't long until I thought of you, Sweetpea. Well, I suppose, I thought of us (still trying to wrap my head around a future where I am part of an 'us'), and I'm making a Couple's Decision for us right now, way back in 2015: This is our quote. Is that even a thing? I mean, do couples have quotes? I figure that if they can have songs, then we can have quotes. And this one will be ours. I can just picture it now: Printed in pretty calligraphy on our wedding invitations, or maybe even a snippet of it inscribed inside our wedding rings. Oh, the possibilities are endless. What? You don't like the wedding ring idea? Well, we'll just see about that one.

Now don't get me wrong here. I'm still a forever hopeless romantic with visions of soul mates and grand, romantic-comedy style speeches in my head. The truth is, you can't help who you fall in love with -- there's no logic or reason when it comes to the actual falling. But after that? That's when you get into the choice aspect of it all. We make choices all the time -- what to eat, where to go, where to live, what to do, what TV shows to binge-watch over the long weekend. And every choice helps to shape us and chart our course into the future, even if only a little bit.

Sure, you can declare your love for someone in some sweeping gesture that rivals even the Greek gods themselves, but for me, it's what comes after said declaration that is far more important. Life is scary and messy and complicated; it forces us to make choices at every single turn. It forces us to act
But every day? You can choose to stay or you can choose to walk away. That's the choice that you -- and only you -- can make. You're the one in charge of you, and I'm in charge of me. I may not have a crystal ball to tell us everything about our future, but I can be sure of a few things. I am always going to choose you. I'm going to choose you every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to bed. I'm going to choose you even when we're having our first fight and I'm SO MAD because you have no idea what you did. I'm going to choose you even when you hog the remote and make fun of my reality TV obsession. I'm going to choose you when going anywhere in the world doesn't seem half as fun as staying right here with you. I'm going to choose you the first time you're really sick, through every awkward family holiday and that day when we're 90 and, although our pasts are fuzzy, we still clearly remember that we did it all together.

I'm going to choose you even when life gets scary and messy and complicated.

I choose you.

There are some 7 billion people in this world. Of all those people, I choose you. And I'll keep choosing you every single day. That's something pretty special, don't you think, Sweetpea? Until we meet... xoxo

P.S. In reading this back, I can't help but notice that it all sort of reads like some dramatic monologue in a late '90s teen soap on the WB -- I'm looking at you, Dawson Leery. I'm OK with that, and I still choose you. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful quote and so true.
    Couples need to keep on choosing each other through everything - the rough times, kids, and other big life changes.
    My husband and I have to remind ourselves now that we're a bigger family and choose each other!

    xoxo,
    little luxury list formerly Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! Exactly, little luxury!! It's so important and sometimes overlooked.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin