Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Love Lounge: Thoughts on Weddings

A not-so-surprising confession: I'm a wedding fool. We're talking seriously, madly, deeply, I'd-show-up-at-random-weddings-if-I-could in love with them. They make my heart beat just a little faster and life's possibilities seem just a little rosier. After all, weddings are the Hopeless Romantic's equivalent of a kid jumping with wild abandon into the ball pit at Chuck E. Cheese. Or a chocolate lover's takeover of the Godiva Chocolate factory. You want to roll in it. You want to absorb all your senses in it. And, really, you want all those feelings to last forever, long after the last piece of cake was cut and the bride threw the bouquet.

I've been thinking about weddings lately, probably because summer practically screams "I DO." It's Wedding Season at its finest, full of bridesmaids and groomsmen and dresses and vows and first kisses and first dances, and now that same-sex marriage is FINALLY legal in all 50 states, there's even more to love and celebrate. When it comes to the big day, thoughts and ideas pop into my head at freakishly alarming rates sometimes, so I suppose it's only appropriate that I record some of them for posterity -- at the very least, I can most definitely use it as a blueprint for my wedding with a certain Mr. Melissa Blake. Here are my four recent wedding-related musings...

1. Writing Your Own Marriage Vows: I always assumed that I'd do this. There's something so special and romantic when couples take the time to really give voice to what's in their heart. It doesn't mean that you have to come up with some elaborate prose that rival Shakespeare himself, but a few carefully chosen words are something I'd remember forever. When you think about it, who knows you and your relationship better than, well, you??

2. Bursting Into a Chapel and Stopping a Wedding: I've got Taylor Swift to thank for this one. Well, Taylor and Julia Roberts a la My Best Friend's Wedding. I sometimes think of that one moment -- those nail-biting final seconds -- when you're asked, "Does anyone here object?" -- and you wonder what people are thinking. Is someone going to rush through those doors and declare their undying love for the bride or groom? Are you that person? A lot could change in the span of a couple minutes, and I've always been fascinated by that. And it also begs the question: Would you ever run away from your own wedding? What would it take for you to walk away?

3. The Whole Hook-Up Culture at Weddings: Do people even "hook-up" at weddings anymore? It's all seemed very awkward and tawdry to me. I mean, how do you make a move on that guy you spot across the room while the DJ is blaring YMCA and the disco lights are spinning everywhere? Ironically, it doesn't seem very romantic or dignified to me.

4. The Post-Wedding Romantic Buzz: If I were a scientist, I'd commission a large-scale study of this phenomenon because it's a real thing. I'm sure of it. In fact, it's happened to me many times. It's that romantic buzz. It's that buzz you get driving home from a wedding. It's butterflies in your stomach, except instead of scary ones, they're magical ones. They're the ones that get you excited, that make you daydream and want to believe in the fairytale again, even if only for awhile.
Are you going to any weddings this summer, friends? Do they make you googly-eyed? Or more down on love? What are you most looking forward to when it comes to your future wedding? If you're married, what was your favorite part of it? Let's chat about all things wedding, shall we? xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It]

1 comment:

  1. I mean... weddings make me want to love on my hubby a little more. But the whole hook up thing is kind of icky.

    Oh and writing of the vows is a must. It's so romantic!


    Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin