Monday, July 27, 2015

Talking Honestly About Disabilities

When I started So About What I Said nearly seven years, I had no idea where I'd be today. But I knew one thing: I wanted the blog to be a place where I could talk openly and honestly about disabilities.

Being a voice. That's what was most important to me back then. And it still is.

That's why I'm SO excited to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Americans With Disabilities Act this week! The landmark legislation, signed into law on July 26th, 1990, aimed to remove barriers and combat discrimination against people with disabilities.

"The ADA is one of America's most comprehensive pieces of civil rights legislation that prohibits discrimination and guarantees that people with disabilities have the same opportunities as everyone else to participate in the mainstream of American life -- to enjoy employment opportunities, to purchase goods and services, and to participate in State and local government programs and services." --Introduction to the ADA

To celebrate the milestone, I've asked some of my blogging friends in the disability community to share their words, thoughts and experiences. The first interview will be posted tomorrow, but I thought it would be helpful to a round-up -- a Best-Of, if you will -- get the ball rolling. Here's a look back at some of my favorite disability posts...

Disabilities In The Media...
*Glee-ful joy.
*Disabilities in advertising.
*The amazing Push Girls.
*An Open Letter To Ali Stroker.
*Superhero window washers.
*Setting records on Mt. Everest.
*Great strides in the fashion world.
*Toys for kids with disabilities.

Love and Disabilities...
*Would guys really date a woman with a physical disability?
*Disabilities aren't dealbreakers.
*Dating Disclaimers.
*Disability myths.
*"Did I ever let my disability define me?"
*Three questions I'm scared to ask.
*Five questions to NEVER ask a woman with a disability.

Real Life with a Disability...
*Living independently.
*Top Ten.
*My life in list form.
*Terrifying medical moments.
*Offensive language.
*Hospital tour photos.
*Good reminder.
*My disability Q & A.
*International Persons With Disabilities Day.
*The importance of changing perceptions and classroom inclusion.

Enjoy the reading, friends, and I'll see you back here tomorrow for more disability talk! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin