Tuesday, October 06, 2015

MEMO TO MEN: If Dating Is Like Blogging...

TO: Men all over the planet
FROM: Melissa
RE: The link between dating and blogging
DATE: October 6th, 2015
...I'm going to be as suave and smooth as Joey Tribbiani from Friends! I'm serious when I say this, boys, because if there's one thing I'm good at, it's studying something and then practicing and practicing until I've mastered it. Just ask my high school self, who sat for hours at a small dining room table hunched over a chemistry textbook furiously scribbling theorems and equations and symbols. The end of the school year came and I got my report card. Killed it, NBD.

But enough about the past. I've been thinking about dating -- as I'm prone to do -- and a sort of revelation hit me: Dating seems a lot like blogging. You know, it seems like the same type of dance, only you're dancing with another person instead of awkwardly alone in the corner hoping someone will ask you to dance for the slow numbers. Not that I know about that from personal experience or anything.

Don't believe me, boys? Just hear me out on this one for a minute. Dating can be messy; blogging is all about rolling your sleeves up and digging into all that loopy HTML business. Dating requires you to put your best face forward; blogging requires a solid brand. Dating involves meeting a lot of frogs (sorry, boys!); blogging is about making mistakes and then learning from them. And of course, there are a few more similarities. These are my favorites, so I thought it only appropriate to expand on them for you -- you know, all in the name of education and bettering ourselves, which, fittingly, is another thing dating and blogging have in common. OK, when it comes to blogging...

You have to be honest
It's sort of like the buffet at Golden Corral -- you have to build your meal around the hearty stuff, like your meats and potatoes. The light fare -- think salads -- is good, but it can't be the foundation. Nothing can subsist on that. Your blog has to be built on honesty, and if it's not, people will be able to see right through it. They'll appreciate your vulnerability, watching you peel back layer after layer as you slowly reveal your true self to them. Trust me, it's such a beautiful thing. It just might be the most beautiful thing in the world.

You gotta bring the funny
Make like Tiny Fey and make 'em laugh. I guarantee you that's the surefire way to their heart. A hearty chuckle is a wondrous gift to give someone, and if you think about it, it's really the gift that keeps on giving. It can bring someone out of a bad day or give someone a little bit of hope. After all, no one can be serious all the time -- what kind of depressing world would that be? My gosh, you'd probably start to feel like you were drowning!

You must be committed
This is a BIG one for me, admittedly both in life and love. Like I said in the beginning of this post, when I commit to something, I grab onto it with everything I've got. Not in an obsessive, stalker-y way, mind you, just with a steadfast, determined attitude. When I commit, I'm all in and it's for the long-haul. With me, it's all or nothing. We're going all the way -- and no, I'm not talking about bedroom behavior here.
Something tells me that dating is A LOT like this! Am I right, boys? I'm sure that you'll have plenty of time to tell me ALL about it someday. We can wax poetic over a candlelit dinner as I sip a Barq's root beer and get all sorts of honest and vulnerable. But watch out for the laughs because they're coming too! xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It]


  1. I LOVE this, who knew dating was so much like blogging!

  2. I know! The more I was writing it, the more I was like, "Wow!" :)

  3. She asked if I would review her newly created on-line dating profile and give her feedback! Dating Advice for Men


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin