Monday, November 16, 2015

So About What I Said's Anniversary: The Past and the Future!

I'm pretty sure that November 14th, 2008 was just another ordinary day. In fact, I don't even remember what I did that day except for one thing: I hit 'publish' on So About What I Said's inaugural post.

I didn't think very much about the impact of that single act at the time. I'd been wanting to start a blog for awhile by that point, but the medium was still relatively new at the time. I didn't really know where it -- or I -- was going. And maybe I couldn't have predicted the amazing roller coaster at the time, but, oh, what an incredible ride its been over the last seven years.

I've learned about myself. I've learned about life. And, of course, I've learned about love. I did it all over 5,000+ posts -- I don't think that number will ever not blow my mind! So when I think about the past and try to connect it with the future and where I'm going, I've come back to two key blog points lately...

1.BLOG KEYWORDS: Honest, Real, Smart and Funny
Over the years, I've always approached my blog with those four words in the forefront of my mind; they encapsulate the heart of my blog and what it's really about. I wanted these words to sort of be the foundation of everything I do -- the guiding force of the ship, if you will. And I think I've successfully found it in these four words. Honesty has been my guiding principle from the beginning, but it's also so important for me to engage in smart dialogue with you all and create a loving, welcoming community where we can each tell our stories and not be afraid to be ourselves. And what's the world without some fun? You can never underestimate the benefits of fun and lots of laughter. Ever.

2. BUCKETS OR CATEGORIES: Relationships, Disabilities, Lifestyle and Pop Culture
I've been thinking a lot about the 'buckets' or categories that make up the umbrella of my blog posts. I like to think of it as a tree, where each branch is made of leaves or 'subtopics.' For example...

*Relationships cover things like Letters To My Future Husband, Love Lounge, MEMO TO MEN, Lyrical Gangster, Dating, Weddings, The Science of Love and Family.

*Disabilities cover things like Disability Issues (obviously!), Disabilities In The Media, Body Image and Depression.

*Lifestyle covers things like Fashion, Beauty, Design, Art, Food, Shopping, Etsy Love, Dream Home and Dream Vacation.

*Pop Culture covers things like Open Letters, In The Pursuit of Happiness, Music, Movies, Television and Books.

Keeping these specific 'buckets' in mind will further reinforce my blog's focus going forward and help me continue to zero in on my niche as a writer and blogger. It's made all the difference in making sure I'm on track.

One major criticism I've heard over the years is that bloggers need to choose a side: Serious, hard-hitting content or posts of the fluffy, rainbows-and-unicorns variety. But I've never believed that. In blogging, as well as in life, I've always lived by the mantra that you can be both, which is why I try to strike the perfect balance between serious and fun. I want to strive to be real and honest and deep, but at the same time, I never want to be afraid to enjoy a fun fashion round-up or obsess over the latest TV guilty pleasure. You need the dark mixed with the light; you need time to be serious and time to just turn your mind off. I promise I'll always try my very best to maintain that delicate balance.

I'd love to hear your blogging tips as well, friends!! THANK YOU so much for seven amazing years, and I can't wait to see where our adventures take us in the future!!! I couldn't ask for sweeter, kinder, more encouraging readers -- thanks for making my days and my job so much fun! I love you! You know I'll NEVER stop saying that, right? xoxo


  1. Congrats on the blogiversary! Such great tips - it's so important to be real and have a clear focus! Here's to seven more years of blogging :)

  2. Thank you for making my day more delightful :)

  3. Happy Blogiversary girl! You have always inspired me with your honesty, and ability to make just about any topic a talking point. Cheers to another year!



Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin