Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Tuesday Tunes: Billy Joel's "My Life"

Editor's Note: Song lyrics denoted in bold italics.

I've always had a special place in my heart for Billy Joel. He sings songs about real life; everyone makes fun of me, but I can't listen to Piano Man without the tears practically streaming down my face -- just think of poor Davy in the navy!

Anyway, Janelle was putting up our Christmas tree this afternoon and was listening to the '70s station on Sirius. What should come blasting through the television in all its self-assured glory?

Billy Joel's "My Life"
From 52nd Street

Now, this has long been one of my favorites from Joel's discography, but for some reason, it sounded "new" to me today. It was as if I was hearing the song for the first time in years. It just hit me in that emotional sweet spot, you know?

I don't need you to worry for me cause I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life and leave me alone

And then it hit me: This is, coincidentally, something I've learned from Janelle. Lately, she's been trying to live by this philosophy more. Not in a "this is my life and I can do whatever I want" sort of way like a defiant teenager, but more like a "make no apologies" kind of way. So often, we start feeling like we desperately need to justify what we say, what we do, EVERYTHING! But then we suddenly realize that, well, we actually don't. It's a pretty liberating feeling, actually.

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
I still belong, don't get me wrong
And you can speak your mind
But not on my time

Remember when we talked about how you don't owe anyone an apology for certain things in life? Maybe this is sort of the same thing. I'm willing to bet that it takes us all awhile to build up that thick skin, that protective outer shell that makes us at least partially immune from the opinions and harsh words of others. I mean, we're sure as heck not born with it -- though if they did clone a sheep once, I suppose you never really know exactly what the future holds.
Yet, once we develop this skin, it seems to last a lifetime, doesn't it? It's almost as if it's guaranteed to give us some sort of superpower in shutting out the hollow words from the people around us -- those words that just don't matter -- and helping us finally and truly see that, NO, we don't always have to be apologizing and saying "I'm sorry" for every little thing. It's our life, remember? We need to be happy living it for ourselves and forgetting all that excess background noise.

Wouldn't you agree, friends? xoxo

1 comment:

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin