Thursday, January 07, 2016

On Watching Thelma & Louise For The First Time


It wasn't the sort of movie I thought I'd like. I'd heard rumblings about it, so going in, I thought I knew what to expect from Thelma & Louise: Two women take off for the desert, crimes ensue, said women drive off cliff.

While that's technically the Wiki-friendly version of the plot, there's so much more going on under all that sand, scenery and early '90s fashion.

And another surprise I wasn't expecting? That I'd love the movie as much as I did or that it rings just as true today as it did 25 years ago when it came out.

The film, starring Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon, follows best friends Thelma and Louise as their girls' weekend goes from innocent to downright criminal. The duo eventually finds themselves on the run from the law as their journey takes them across the Southwest.

Aside from the violent crimes and the suicide at the end, their journey raises a lot of questions: Who are we? Does our inner self match who people see on the outside? What would we do if we could break free and completely let loose? Do we even want to know?

I mean, here are two women who take off on the open road wanting to escape or leave something behind. They want to forget, if only for a little while, but at the same time, you can tell that they're just trying to find their place in this world. Maybe it really is the what they say -- sometimes we need to get a little lost in order to find ourselves again.

The fact that they do it all in a car only adds to the symbolism, you know? For once -- maybe for the very first time in their lives -- they're taking the wheel when it comes to the direction they want their lives to take. They're now in the driver's seat, both literally and metaphorically. That's a pretty beautiful thing, if you ask me.
Well, can you tell I minored in English in college? But, really, it's one of those films -- you know, the kind that sticks with you for days. Because something tells me that there's a bit of Thelma and Louise in all of us. Part of us just wants to let go sometimes and let off a little steam. My one suggestion, though: It would probably be best if your letting-off-steam activity of choice was on the right side of Lady Law. Just saying...

4 comments:

  1. This makes me want to watch this movie... I haven't seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched it for the first time a year or so ago on Netflix. I liked it too, but I think I was expecting it to be funnier and less heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite movie ever :) I saw it for the first time when I was a teenager (which was significant I think) and it resonated with me so much! I've watched it I don't know how many times and I never get sick of the ending.

    I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin