Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Tuesday Tunes: Carrie Underwood's "Unapologize"

Editor's Note: Song lyrics denoted in bold italics.

It's no deep, dark secret that I can have a big mouth sometimes -- I mean, just take a look at the name of my blog, for starters! I've always been this way, and truth be told, this big mouth of mine has gotten me into some trouble over the years. I can get emotional and overly passionate when a case of the feels comes on, and, well, the words just seem to flow out of my mouth without any sort of filter.

Carrie Underwood's "Unapologize"
From Play On

And don't even get me started on disclosing my feelings on paper and through the written word. I've laid my heart out on this blog more times than I can count. To Crush Boy. To Cute Guy Friend. To Facebook Flirt. So. Many. Feelings.

Last night I was pouring out my heart
Like a waterfall to you
And with a one kiss
I was a runaway train
Flying off the track to you
I love you came flooding out
Couldn't make it stop
Couldn't shut my mouth
I felt like a fool then I lied and said I'm sorry

At first, I wanted to take back what I'd said the second I let the words out into the universe. It was almost as if I knew that I shouldn't be saying those words -- to people I knew I shouldn't be saying them to -- but something just wouldn't let me hold back.

But I unapologize
I meant every word
Won't take back the way I feel about you
I can't unsay what you heard
'Cause you heard me right
And I won't try to fight 'em back
Or hide my feelings for you
I unapologize

I suppose, you can only go so long saying things and regretting them later. It's no way to live, really. So I stopped apologizing. Why should I ever be afraid to give a voice to my feelings? Why is it so "wrong" to say how you feel and NOT feel the least bit bad about it? If you think about it, it's usually the head that steers us in the wrong direction. We try to be logical and rational, always making the "right" choice, but in doing so, we're ignoring our hearts.
And that, if you ask me, is the real tragedy. Because denying your heart is sort of like denying a part of yourself. It's going to eat away at you. For a long time, I suspect. We can't control how people are going to react to the words we say, of course, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't say them. And proudly! So, I urge you to go forth and speak from your heart -- and NEVER apologize for it! xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It]


  1. As long as you also take it in stride when other people say things that you might not like hearing when they speak from the heart.

  2. I have to agree!!! I've seen you receive numerous constructive critical comments that tend to get you a bit bent out of shape. Not everyone will agree with your point of view and shower your blog with verbal praise. And some people are going to ask you some very tough questions. It comes with the territory, and so your topic should work both ways.

  3. oh, good point, Anons...i totally get that! it's all about learning to develop a thick skin, which is something, i think, that we never stop doing. :)


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin