Thursday, January 28, 2016

What Literary Passages Do You Love?

Last summer, Thought Catalog published a collection of beautiful passages from literature. The selections -- everything from Ernest Hemingway to Pooh -- were inspiring, thought-provoking and the kind of words you want to hang on your refrigerator. They also got me thinking about my favorite literary passages over the years. Here are 12 of my must-reads...
____________

"Just because somebody's dead, you don't just stop liking them-especially if they were about a thousand times nicer than the people you know that're alive and all."
― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

"Certain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone."
― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...And one fine morning-- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak knits up the o-er wrought heart and bids it break."
― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

"Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love."
― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

"All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

"Rummaging in our souls, we often dig up something that ought to have lain there unnoticed."
― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

"I think...if it is true that there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts."
― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

"It's lovely to live on a raft. We had the sky, up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made, or only just happened- Jim he allowed they was made, but I allowed they happened; I judged it would have took too long to make so many."
― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

"I'm in love with you," he said quietly.

"Augustus," I said.

"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you."
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Do you have any passages, friends? Are there ones that hold special meaning for you -- ones that you find yourself reading and re-reading again and again? I'd love for you to share them in the comments! xoxo

P.S. Great beach reads, how finding love is like finding a good book, Better Book Titles, libraries before Google and wise words on fairy tales!

[Photo via We Heart It]

2 comments:

  1. I love that one from The Fault In Our Stars too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For you, a thousand times over", from the Kite Runner by Khalid Hosseini.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin