Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Tuesday Tunes: Bobby Darin's "Beyond the Sea"

Editor's Note: Song lyrics denoted in bold italics.

Melissa was all excited to have me do a guest post on her Tuesday Tunes this week. I have recently started listening to the Norah Jones station on Pandora. Norah and I go way back, to right after Brian died. Her music was my grieving music, and it is only in the last couple of years that I have been able to listen to it again. Back then, it tore me up; now it comforts me.

Bobby Darin's "Beyond the Sea"
From Ultimate Bobby Darin

Somewhere beyond the sea
Somewhere waiting for me
My lover stands on golden sands
And watches the ships that go sailin'

So, I added the station on Pandora, and a strange thing began to happen. I had given a thumbs up to the song Beyond the Sea, but they began to play it numerous times each time I turned it on. I give thumbs up to lots of songs, but for some strange reason, Beyond the Sea comes on way more often than the other songs I like.

It's far beyond the stars
It's near beyond the moon
I know beyond a doubt
My heart will lead me there soon

We'll meet beyond the shore
We'll kiss just as before
Happy we'll be beyond the sea
And never again I'll go sailing

This is strangely comforting to me because from the very first time I listened to it, back in 2004, I just knew that this song belonged to Brian and me. Now, granted, I was fresh into grief from Brian’s death the year before, but I can truly see him waiting for me somewhere...maybe beyond the sea.
I just know he’s "somewhere waiting for me" and what better place than the beach, where so many of our happiest memories happened? Someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin