Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Tuesday Tunes: Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"

Editor's Note: Song lyrics denoted in bold italics.

As long as we're talking about the '80s today, I thought it only appropriate to carry that same theme over to Tuesday Tunes!

The Decade of Excess may have suffered from many missteps -- shoulder pads! Milli Vanilli! Big hair! -- but it got one thing exactly right.

The music.

There's really no other decade that compares, except maybe the '90s. Music in the '80s was big (much like that hair trend!) and beautiful and sweeping. It sucked you in and mesmerized you into some sort of trance. If you weren't careful, there was a chance you'd get lost in its melodies forever.

But, really, that possibility wasn't that threatening or scary.

At least not to me. I grew up on this music. It shaped me and influenced me in ways I'm still discovering today -- and probably will be for years to come. And when I think back over all the music produced in those 10 years, my mind naturally drifts to one favorite...

Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"
From So

Like so many, I fell in love with this song at the same time I fell in love with a certain Lloyd Dobler in Say Anything. Here was a guy who was geeky and perfect, yet he didn't even know it. He was so self-deprecating about it and that was so refreshing to see. You don't see that too often these days.

Love I get so lost, sometimes
Days pass and this emptiness fills my heart
When I want to run away
I drive off in my car
But whichever way I go
I come back to the place you are

Love sure makes us do some crazy things, doesn't it? It can at once astound us and terrify us, build us up only to break us down. It's not logical and sometimes it's not even what we need or want at the time. But something about love keeps us coming back. Something about it keeps that sheer hunger stirring in our souls. So we hold on, not really knowing where we're headed, but still desperately wanting to get there quickly.

I sometimes feel so out of control when it comes to love. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but I don't think I'd ever have it any other way. You know I hate that feeling of utter powerlessness -- it can just feel like one giant void sometimes, you know?

All my instincts, they return
And the grand facade, so soon will burn
Without a noise, without my pride
I reach out from the inside

Whether we admit it or not, some degree of life is about playing a part. We have roles to play -- mother, daughter, friend, employee. We get so good at playing the part that we start to wear that mask all the time. It becomes a part of us, even when we don't know we're doing it. It's easy to become disconnected from ourselves, and that's the last thing we want to do. What we want is for someone to see us -- for who we are and all that we could be.

In your eyes
The light the heat
In your eyes
I am complete
In your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
In your eyes
The resolution of all the fruitless searches
In your eyes
I see the light and the heat
In your eyes
Oh, I want to be that complete
I want to touch the light
The heat I see in your eyes

And yet, when we meet the right person? It's like pure magic. An orchestra of fireworks erupts right before our very eyes and it's like we're finally seeing for the first time in our lives. I mean, this light is powerful. It overwhelms and consumes us.

When you think about being that source of light for someone else? I can't even imagine that. What must it be like to have someone look at you like that? To look at you with such awe and wonder and love? It must be amazing -- to finally find your true home and feel so safe.
In the end, I think we're all just looking for our own Lloyd Dobler. I'm sure he's out there somewhere, boombox in hand and ready to serenade us.

2 comments:

  1. And the 80s videos were so great, too. On a personal note, I love the light I see in Beau's eyes. I am a lucky woman.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin